To keep your German car in tip-top condition, we recommend you follow the guidelines below. And make sure to ask our service manager about our Comprehensive 21 Point Checklist. It’s quick, and we provide it free to all of our customers.
|Appearance||Batteries & Cables||Belts & Hoses|
|Brake Fluid||Brake Service||Check Engine Light|
|Exhaust System||Oil, Filters, Fluid||Steering, Suspension and Tires|
|Tune-Up||Every 3,000 Miles|
- To prevent stripping of the wax finish, use only automotive car wash products, not dishwashing soaps.
- Polish at least twice a year to protect and maintain the finish
- Battery should be securely mounted.
- If the battery is three years old or more, it should be tested and replaced if necessary
- Battery connection should be clean, tight and free of corrosion.
- Check the V belts and serpentine belts for tension and condition
- Typically replace timing belt between 60 to 90K miles – not replacing the belt could cause serious engine damage.
- Inspect hoses at each oil change. Replace brittle, cracked, or leaking hoses.
- Replace belts when cracked, frayed, glazed or showing signs of excessive wear.
- Replace fluid every 2 years/24,000 miles
- If frequent topping off is required, inspect brake linings and check for fluid leaks.
- Check fluid with engine off or running.
- Check the entire brake system every year. Inspect brake linings, rotors and drums.
- If check engine light comes on while driving or remains on, your vehicle may have an emissions or sensor problem and should be diagnosed.
- If light flashes, the condition is more severe and must be checked immediately to prevent catalytic converter or other damage.
- Exhaust leaks can allow carbon monoxide gas into the passenger compartment.
- Inspect for leaks, damage and broken supports or hangers if there is an unusual noise.
Engine Oil and Filter
- Check level with engine off at every fill up.
- For maximum engine life, change oil and filter every 3 months/3,000 miles
- Steering and suspension components may require periodic lubrication.
- Many newer cars are lubed for life – many others still require this service
- Replace filter every 2 years / 24,000 miles
- Replace if restricted or water contaminated. Restricted fuel filters shorten life of the fuel pump.
Engine Air Filter
- Replace annually or when torn, water or oil soaked, dirty or showing other signs of wear.
- Inspect filter at each oil change.
Automatic Transmission Fluid
- For maximum performance, change every 2 years / 24,000 miles
- Check fluid levels with engine running and transmission in park.
Differential, Manual Transmission and Transfer Case
- Replace fluids every 4 years / 50,000 miles using factory recommended lubricant.
- Check fluids at each oil change.
Windshield Washer Fluid
- Use washer fluid only.
- Check fluid levels monthly.
Power Steering Fluid
- Replace fluid every 2 years / 24,000 miles
- Check fluid with engine off using either “Full Cold” or “Full Hot” indicator lines on dipstick.
- If frequent topping off is required, inspect for leaks and replace if contaminated.
Cabin Air Filter
- Replace annually, or more often in areas with heavy dust or whenever heating or cooling efficiency is reduced.
- Change coolant every 2 years / 24,000 miles, on most vehicles.
- Check level at reservoir – never open a hot radiator cap.
- If low, add 50/50 mix of approved antifreeze/coolant and distilled water.
- Replace tires if worn or damaged.
- Inspect steering and suspension system at least annually, including shock absorbers, struts and chassis parts, such as ball joints, tie rod ends and other related components. Replacethese parts if leaks, damage and loose mounting hardware are found.
- Check the pressure of all tires, including the spare monthly.
- Check the tread for uneven or irregular wear and cuts or bruises along the sidewalls.
- Inflate tires and maintain at recommended pressure.
- Replace oxygen sensor at interval as recommended in owner’s manual.
- Some cars have an oxygen sensor replacement light that appears when replacement is needed
- Typical spark plug replacement intervals range between 30,000 and 100,000 miles depending on the vehicle and type of spark plug.
- Change engine oil and filter.
- Perform multi-point inspection.
- Rotate tires every other oil change for optimal tire life.
Performance Motor Works provides repair and maintenance services for German Autos including BMW, Audi, VW and Mini Cooper in its state of the art facility in Rocklin, CA. Our services include oil change, lube, engine repair, cooling systems and radiators, brake service, clutch, fuel system, and vehicle inspection. We serve the communities of Roseville, Granite Bay, Penryn, Loomis, Lincoln, Carmichael, Newcastle, Citrus Heights, Sacramento, Folsom, Auburn, Meadow Vista, Sheridan, Wheatland, Colfax, Nevada City and Grass Valley. Call us at (916) 624-9656.
#bmw #audi #minicooper #mini #vw